Saturday, August 05, 2006

I didn't have my camera

I got inspired by a little moment yesterday:

I was sitting inside the cafe at barnes & noble and it was raining. It was hot outside. I was alone, waiting for Adam so we could play chess, so I was entertaining myself with the planner I had just bought inside. And that's when I saw it. A guy was sitting outside on the stairs that lead to the store next door to barnes & noble. He was wearing all black, he was on his cigarette break, alone. The whole scene looked just right. Like pulled out of a movie. Like it all had been previously written. The lighting, the rain, the smoke coming from his cigarette, the lighter on the floor right next to him. I think even I fitted in the whole thing, you know: a random stranger looking out the window, witnessing this magical moment.

I didn't have my camera, I had nothing but a pen and a receipt. I sketched it. I memorized it:


No comments: